The Best Practical Festival for Sustainable Events / BESTIVAL 2022
Sustainability balance sheet BESTIVAL 2022
A climate neutral event and a spectacular event like the BESTIVAL do not necessarily have to be at odds with each other. As a best practical example, BESTIVAL 2022 shows that it is possible to plan a sustainable event while adhering to the 3 pillars of sustainability: ecology, economy and social aspects.
At BESTIVAL 2022, sustainability was integrated into all areas of the event. The Sustainable Event Guidelines Berlin established the structural framework for the planning in order to have the event certified according to ISO20121 in the future.
Here are our sustainable goals for 2022:
- We aspire to make the BESTIVAL compliant with the international sustainability certification ISO20121.
- As such, the planning is based on the criteria of the three sustainability dimensions: protection of the environment, social impact and economic components.
- Climate neutrality with a reduction of CO2e emissions per capita by 10% (compared to BESTIVAL 2021)
- Verification of all service providers through a supplier check according to ISO 20121
- Implementation in accordance with the Sustainable Event Guidelines Berlin
- Implementation of the sustainability plan.
Here is what we have achieved:
- We managed to limit and minimise emissions through proactive planning, but we also had to offset inevitable emissions according to the Gold Standard - well, nobody is perfect - and we can continue to perfect our efforts in this area.
- For instance by giving participants a preferential travel option with the Deutsche Bahn (event ticket), by using the Berlin Welcome Card, which includes tickets for public transport, and by opting for vegetarian catering.
- 71,430 kg of CO2e greenhouse gases were emitted in the course of getting BESTIVAL up and running.
- We had aimed for a 1:1 comparison of the emission balances of BESTIVAL 2021 and 2022, but it could not be done because the relevant criteria involved in both BESTIVAL events would not allow for a fair comparison:
- in 2021, BESTIVAL took place under the shadow of Corona with only a few international participants, the location had to be kept warm in November.
- The duration of both events, the number of venues and ultimately also the total number of participants differed to a substantial degree.
- All service providers and partners, as far as they were not certified according to SMB, ISO or ISO9001 etc., were subjected to an audit, which also revolved around the corporate culture and the treatment of employees.
- We have an environmental report that is in alignment with international standards and reveals the areas where sustainability is being put into practice and the areas where there is room for improvement.
Here's our cause for celebration:
- 31.2 % of participants travelled to the event by bicycle
- Berlin Meeting Campus, the combination of several venues, was implemented for the first time, 3 venues benefited from one event
- The proportion of organically certified food for the catering amounted to 73% of the total, all food items were seasonal, and 100% of the food was not flown in.
- We appreciate the enthusiasm of the participants for sustainability, the commitment of the partners to support our goals and of course the team that held it all together - a big THANK YOU!
Do you have questions about sustainable events and green meetings?
We will be happy to help you and share tips on how to make your event sustainable and where to find further information on this topic.
We look forward to discussing the ideas with you!