art:berlin - International Architecture 1957 - The Hansaviertel
The Hansaviertel has originally been used as an exhibition area for contemporary residential architecture during INTERBAU in the heart of Western Berlin. It has become a popular quarter for living. In competition to East Berlin’s prestigious Stalinallee, it was the declared goal to develop a surrounding of highest quality while considering social aspects. The guidelines followed were inspired by the Weimarer Republic's societal demands: balconies, accessible rooftops, green surroundings, air and light, modern building technology.
The involved planners were international: The Grand Master Otto Bartning was responsible for the general planning, the most renown architects from all around the world developed high and low rises. Right in between those buildings we will find works of Walter Gropius, Gustav Hasenpflug and Eduard Ludwig.
Stalinallee and Hansaviertel applied together for the World Heritage List.
in cooperation with the Bauhaus-Archiv / Museum für Gestaltung